WHAT IS A BLOG?
"Blog" is short for weblog. A weblog is like a journal or newsletter that is available for public viewing on the internet. Blogs are updated frequently, and are comprised of articles or "posts" written by the contributing author(s) about various subjects related to the theme of the blog.
WHAT IS THIS BLOG ABOUT?
The Texas Forest Service's Water Resources Program maintains this blog to provide current information to individuals interested in how trees, sustainable forestry, and Best Management Practices (BMPs) can help sustain and promote clean water resources for Texas. It provides information on current events, technical assistance, training, and places to find additional resources.
ANATOMY OF A POST :
The posts on this blog are shown in the white boxes running down the center of the screen. The picture below shows the various components of a blog post.
(click on the picture for a larger view)
HOW TO SEARCH THIS BLOG :
As mentioned above, this blog is comprised of numerous "posts" that have been added to the blog over time by the authors. The posts are arranged chronologically from newest to oldest. There are several ways that you can search though the posts on this blog.
1) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Older Posts" on the right hand side of the screen. You can continue to scroll through all the posts using this method until you reach the end. You can go back to newer posts by clicking "Newer Posts" on the left hand side at the bottom of each page. The "Home" button will take you back to the most recently added posts.
2) Use the "SEARCH THIS BLOG" box on the top of the page on the right hand side (under the Texas Forest Service logo) to search for a particular subject. This will bring up a list of the posts that are related to the subject you searched for.
3) Search by labels. Each post has several keyword labels that categorize the information in that post (always located on the bottom of each post). These labels are organized in a list on the right hand side of the screen under "FIND ARTICLES RELATED TO:" The number following each label reflects the number of posts with that particular label.
4) Search by date. Each post is stamped with the date that it was added to the blog. You can search for posts based on the date they were added using the "BLOG ARCHIVE" on the right hand side of the screen (below the list of labels). The posts in the archive are organized by year, month, and title. The numbers in parenthesis indicate how many posts fall under that particular year or month.
WANT TO GET NOTIFIED WHEN NEW POSTS ARE ADDED?
There are several ways that you can "subscribe" to this blog so that you get notified every time a new post is added. Subscribing is the best way to stay in the loop and avoid having to frequently check back to see if new information has been posted to the blog.
1) Enter your email address in the "SIGN UP FOR EMAIL" box and you will be notified by email.
2) Subscribe to the blog using the RSS feed options under "FOLLOW US." For more information on what RSS feeds are and how to use them go to http://www.ehow.com/how_2312182_use-rss-feeds.html. You can subscribe to either the blog posts, or the comments that people leave.
JOIN THE DISCUSSION - COMMENTING :
Get involved with discussing or reviewing the information posted on the blog by commenting on posts that interest you. Do you like the information that is being added? Did something raise a question that you would like answered? Would you like to see updates on other subjects related to water resources? Do you have a different opinion on how you implement Best Management Practices on your property or during your operations?
You can comment by clicking on the title of the post, then scrolling down to the "Post a Comment" box, or by clicking on "Comments" at the bottom of each post (next to the Author's name). Be sure to click "Publish" when you are finished.
All comments are moderated by the Texas A&M Forest Service.